Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Death Du Jour by Kathy Reichs

Title: Death Du Jour

Author: Kathy Reichs

Published: Arrow Books Ltd, 2011

Pages: 464

Series: Book 2, Temperance Brennan

Summary: Assaulted by the bitter cold of a Montreal winter, the American-born Dr. Temperance Breman, Forensic Anthropologist for the Province of Quebec, digs for a corpse where Sister Elisabeth Nicolet, dead over a century and now a candidate for sainthood, should lie in her grave. A strange, small coffin, buried in the recesses of a decaying church, holds the first clue to the cloistered nun's fate. The puzzle surrounding Sister Elisabeth's life and death provides a welcome contrast to discoveries at a burning chalet, where scorched and twisted bodies await Tempe's professional expertise. Who were these people? What brought them to this gruesome fate? Homicide Detective Andrew Ryan, with whom Tempe has a combustive history, joins her in the arson investigation. From the fire scene they are drawn into the worlds of an enigmatic and controversial professor, a mysterious commune, and a primate colony on a Carolina island.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After I really enjoyed the first book in the series I picked up the second one straight away to start reading because I couldn’t wait to read more of Temperance Brennan’s adventures and work in the forensic anthropology field.

I was reading this one at home by myself one night and it actually got pretty creepy.  There were a few things happening that just were so creepy and so awful.  It just kind of got to me a little bit.  I didn’t hate it as I actually enjoy moments where I’m looking over my shoulder as I read.

One thing that bothered me a little about this book and the last one was that they both feature bad guys who are related to Brennan and people she knows.  I’m hoping that this doesn’t happen for every book because I really don’t want every murder has some kind of relation to Brennan other than she just helps work on the case.

I enjoyed the mystery in this book and not only was there the mystery of the murders but there was also a historical case in which Brennan was working on.  I enjoyed this aspect of the book as well as it showed that Tempe doesn’t always work on murder cases.

Overall, I thought Death Du Jour was a really good sequel to Deja Dead.  I’ve heard that the series actually gets better over time which if that is the case then I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!