Friday, September 26, 2014

Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin

Title: Another Fine Myth

Author: Robert Asprin

Published: Ace, 2005 (first published 1978)

Pages: 208

Series: Book 1, Myth Adventures

Summary: Skeeve was a magician's apprentice, until an assassin hired by an ancient enemy struck and his master was dead. Skeeve suddenly found himself alone with Aahz, a purple-tongued demon the old magician had summoned from another dimension as a practical joke just before he was killed.

Aahz had lost his powers. Skeeve had lost his job. So together, they set out through a universe populated by Deveels (or devils), Imps, dragons, unicorns and more, looking for a way to get even...  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I knew of so many books that were hilarious science fiction novels, one huge example of this being the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams and I could find quite a few more too.  What I really wanted to find were some humorous fantasy novels.  I had been told to check out Terry Pratchett for that, but in all honesty, I wanted to find something else.  Through a bit of searching on Goodreads I managed to find the myth series by Robert Asprin.

Was this book funny?  Yes, definitely.  There were just so many funny things and the entire tone of the story was hilarious too.  I liked how there were some really funny jokes and the banter between the characters made me laugh a lot.

In terms of plot, I have to say that it was a little all over the place and there were times when it was hard to remember exactly what the main character's purpose was.  However, Skeeve and Aahz got there in the end which was a good thing.

In terms of the world building, I thought this was really cool.  It wasn't a whole new world or anything but the way that there were different dimensions and different creatures came from different dimensions.  Those who travelled between dimensions were called demons.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading Another Fine Myth.  It was a light and funny read that I had no trouble breezing through.  I have the second book on hand as well so am thinking that I might pick that one up pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!