Thursday, September 25, 2014

Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death by M.C. Beaton

Title: Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death

Author: M. C. Beaton

Published: Robinson Publishing, 2010 (first published 1992)

Pages: 285

Series: Book 1, Agatha Raisin

Summary: Agatha Raisin has finally achieved her picture-book life in the beautiful Cotswolds. How better to make new friends than to enter a quiche-making contest? To ensure first prize, Agatha buys her entry at London's Quicherie. But when the judge, Mr. Cummings-Browne, succumbs after trying Agatha's quiche, her chances of winning the competition, or new friends are way beyond hope unless she can nab the murderer!  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Having never read a cosy mystery before, I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect from this book.  I have to say that as I was reading the first chapter my mind started to wander and all I could think was what the f**** is this book.  It’s just weird.  This lady, Agatha Raisin, is such a snob.  I thought it was a little weird, but I carried on.  There is actually a lot of character development and it was really good to see Agatha change over time.

I think once I got over the beginning of the book, which I just wasn’t really expecting, I started to get into the book a bit more.  Although, I did find myself wondering if this was actually a murder mystery at one point just because it took, what felt like a while to get into the story.

One really cool thing about this book was that there were quite a lot of references to Agatha Christie.  They were just scattered throughout the book in a subtle way and it was really fun to spot them.

I feel like this book was quite odd but also quite enjoyable once I got past the first couple of chapters.  In terms of a mystery it had everything it needed.  There were red herrings and clues to things scattered throughout which I really enjoyed.  One thing that I really love about reading mysteries is guessing who the culprit is.  I always get excited if I guess it right and equally so if I don’t guess it.

At the end when there was the big reveal I wasn’t at all surprised.  It made sense to me and I had kind of guessed it.  I do have to say that I was surprised at how silly Agatha was when it came to the big reveal though.

So will I read the next book in the series?  Yes, I think so.  Once I got into the story I found it to be really enjoyable.  It was a very good first step into the cosy mystery genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!