Monday, August 4, 2014

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Title: The Naturals

Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Published: 2013, Disney Hyperion

Pages: 308

Series: Book 1, The Naturals

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it’s not a skill that she’s ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they’ve begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn’t realize is that there’s more at risk than a few unsolved homicides—especially when she’s sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own. Sarcastic, privileged Michael has a knack for reading emotions, which he uses to get inside Cassie’s head—and under her skin. Brooding Dean shares Cassie’s gift for profiling, but keeps her at arm’s length.

Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms closer than Cassie could ever have imagined. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I have mixed feelings about this book.  Or really, I have neutral feelings about it.  I picked up the book because it sounded like a really interesting mystery and knowing that it's YA I was expecting the writing to make it an easy read.

The writing was simplistic and easy to read.  I found that it was quite easy to just read through the pages which is what I was wanting from this book.

It's hard for me to write down my thoughts about this book because they aren't strong in one way or another.

It was more the story that I had some problems with.  I was hoping for more insight into the profiling aspect but I felt like that part of the story wasn't the main part.

None of the characters really stood out to me as being interesting or awesome.  I didn't care for any of them and there were a couple that I didn't particularly like.  There was even a kind of weird love triangle which I really didn't care about and thought it was kind of annoying that, that happened to be a big focus for a lot of the story.

The mystery aspect was intriguing.  I did find myself questioning everyone and trying to figure out who the bad guy was.  I didn't manage to guess this one which I found to be a pleasant surprise.

Will I be picking up the next book?  Well, there is still a mystery to be solved and I am really curious.  I just don't care much for the characters, though.  I'm still sitting on the fence as to whether I'd read the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!