Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs

Title: Deja Dead

Author: Kathy Reichs

Published: Arrow, 2012

Pages: 544

Series: Book 1, Temperance Brennan

Summary: In the year since Temperance Brennan left behind a shaky marriage in North Carolina, work has often preempted her weekend plans to explore Quebec. When a female corpse is discovered meticulously dismembered and stashed in trash bags, Tempe detects an alarming pattern -- and she plunges into a harrowing search for a killer. But her investigation is about to place those closest to her -- her best friend and her own daughter -- in mortal danger... (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: My journey into the world of Temperance Brennan begins with book 1 in the series, Deja Dead.  I have actually read books 4 and 7 in the series several years ago and thought one of them was alright and absolutely loved the other.  However, I now want to go back and read the series as a whole from the beginning.

I think the thing I loved the most about this book was the technical details about the cases and the procedures.  Before reading the book I had seen an interview with Kathy Reichs where she stated that all of the ideas for the books are based on real-life cases which she has worked.  I found that to be really interesting.

In terms of characters, I really like Tempe, she is so funny and also her work is just really intriguing.  I loved how determined to solve the mysteries of the deaths she was and how she went out of her way to ensure that the killer was found.  On the other hand, I really didn’t like her friend Gabby, who just acted in such a crazy manner that I really wanted to go in there and just tell her exactly what she had to do.

Now, one thing I need to address is that the tv series Bones is very loosely based on this series.  I say very loosely based for a reason because I have noticed that a lot of people who read this series based on the fact they love the series are very disappointed.  I just want to warn that yes, I can see why because the books are far more technical and less focused on the drama and things like that.

Overall, I really enjoyed Deja Dead and I look forward to picking up the next book in the series.  I’ve heard that the series gets better after the first couple of books which I look forward to seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!