Thursday, August 14, 2014

Courting Trouble by Kathy Lette

Title: Courting Trouble

Author: Kathy Lette

Published: 14 August 2014, Bantam Press

Pages: 352

Purchase: Book Depository*

Summary: Tilly has the day from hell when she's sacked from her barristers' chambers in the morning, then finds her husband in bed with her former best friend in the afternoon. She escapes to her mother, Roxy - a sassy solicitor whose outrageous take on men, work and family life is the despair of her more conventional daughter. Roxy comes up with a radical plan for their future - they'll set up an all-female law firm which will only champion women who have been cheated, put upon, attacked, ripped off or ruined by the men in their lives.

In court, Tilly finds herself up against Jack Cassidy, the smooth-talking, politically incorrect, legal love god who broke her heart at law school. Jack is fluent in three languages - English, sarcasm and flirtation. but if he's so loathsome, then why is she committing Acute Lust in the 3rd degree?
When a case lands on the doorstep that threatens to change all their lives, Tilly finds herself dangerously close to taking the law into her own hands. Will Jack's cunning ways and expertise in emotional break and enter derail her quest for justice? Or will the women take on the boys. and win?  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: This isn’t a book that I would normally read but when it arrived on my doorstep and I read the introduction I was a little curious as to how this book would go.  I flicked through the book and read the first couple of pages and found it hard to sit the book down.

The writing style is nice and really easy to read.  The story goes along at a moderate pace and while I thought this book would be about the case of the Granny for the entire book, it had a few more things going on at the end which I really liked.

As far as characters go, I thought that Roxy was hilarious and such a great character to read about.  There was one scene earlier on in the book that had me laughing out loud and just admiring how kick-ass Roxy was.  Although, she did have her faults.

I have to say that while I liked Matilda for the most part, her behaviour towards the very end of the book had me wanting to grab her and just yell at her and tell her that she was being silly.  I could see where things were going with certain characters and oh man it was pretty intense.  I found myself just sitting down and flying through the rest of the book to get to the end.

While this was not my normal type of read I have to say that I really enjoyed this book.  It was light and while the topic was a heavy one there was humour sprinkled in where applicable.  This book definitely had me laughing, it had me feeling sad and it definitely kept on the edge of my seat at parts.  The book finishes on a little bit of a cliffhanger/introduction to a sequel so if and when that comes out I will probably pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!