Friday, July 11, 2014

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Title: The Way of Kings

Author: Brandon Sanderson

Published: Gollancz, 2010

Pages: 1008

Series: Book 1, The Stormlight Archive

Summary: Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soiless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.
One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable. (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Brandon Sanderson is fast becoming one of my favourite authors.  I have had this book on my shelf for a while now and I kept looking at it but couldn't help but feel as though the 1008 pages made this book seem a little intimidating.  However, I finally picked it up and I am so glad I did.

I felt like the book started off straight away and there was never a dull moment.  There was so much going on and it was done at such a pace that I never felt like I was left behind or like I was bored.  In fact, I love that Brandon Sanderson gives hints about things and you have to read more of the book to get to know more information about them.  Sanderson is just brilliant at getting people hooked into the stories.

I loved all of the characters and thought they all had very unique but interesting aspects to them.  I'm curious to see how they will all come together and grow and what their roles will be later in the series.

I am impressed with how much detail has gone into the world building and the way the magic systems worked.  It's so different but so amazing and impressive that I loved reading every minute of it.

Another really awesome thing about this book is the illustrations.  They were so gorgeous and I just loved looking at them.  They added an extra element which I thought went along perfectly with the story.  It helped solidify some of the different creatures and world element's in my mind and I really loved that.

I loved The Way of Kings so much, it is such an amazing well-written book and once you get into the story the size is nothing to be worried about at all because the pages just fly by.  Needless to say I will be picking up the sequel, Words of Radiance very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!