Monday, July 21, 2014

Mr Monster by Dan Wells

Title: Mr Monster

Author: Dan Wells

Published: Headline, 2010

Series: Book 2, John Cleaver

Summary: May Contain Spoilers!  In I Am Not a Serial Killer, John Wayne Cleaver saved his town from a murderer even more appalling than the serial killers he obsessively studies.

But it turns out even demons have friends, and the disappearance of one has brought another to Clayton County. Soon there are new victims for John to work on at the mortuary and a new mystery to solve. But John has tasted death, and the dark nature he used as a weapon---the terrifying persona he calls “Mr. Monster”---might now be using him.
No one in Clayton is safe unless John can vanquish two nightmarish adversaries: the unknown demon he must hunt and the inner demon he can never escape.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: After reading I am Not a Serial Killer I just had to get my hands on this one to start reading it.  As soon as it arrived in the mail I started reading it.  Dan Wells has such awesome writing.  He just has this way with words that makes it really easy to get caught up in the story.

Mr Monster picks up a few months after the first book in the series and I thought it was good to see people's reactions to the string of murders from the last book.  I thought it was handled in a really realistic way too.  The townspeople were still nervous and on edge which is to be expected.

There was actually a point where I had to put the book down and I was too scared to pick it up again.  Not because the book is scary because that kind of thing doesn't bother me.  No, what bothered me was John's actions.  Ugh, I was just so scared that he was going to get caught doing the things that he was doing and I just wanted to grab him and tell him he was being an idiot.  This book just made me feel so much for John.  I just wanted to look after the guy, I wanted to guide him in how not to attract attention to himself.

While I felt like the first book had a lot of predictability about who the bad guy was.  I felt with this one I was guessing a bit more which was good.  I really enjoyed that I was questioning all of the characters and trying to figure out who the bad guy was.

I loved the way Mr Monster ended.  It just left an opening for the next book that has me really intrigued.

Needless to say I will definitely be reading the third and final book in the series.  In fact, as soon as I finished Mr Monster I ordered the next book.  I just really love this series and I can't believe it took me so long to pick up the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!