Friday, January 17, 2014

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Title: The Name of the Wind

Author: Patrick Rothfuss

Published: Gollancz, 2008

Pages: 662

Series: Book 1, Kingkiller Chronicles

Summary: Told in Kvothe's own voice, this is the tale of the magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen. The intimate narrative of his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, his years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-ridden city, his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic, and his life as a fugitive after the murder of a king. (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: So many good things had been said about The Name of the Wind and I was very excited to read about it but then looking at the size of it I was a little bit intimidated.  Mostly because I always feel like big books can sometimes be scary in that pages can go by where not a lot happens.

Unfortunately with the Name of the Wind, I feel like it was missing an overarching plot or something.  It’s hard to place but I just have this feeling like there was something missing.  Pages would go by and I would just feel as though nothing significant was happening.

That being said, when things did happen, I found them to be really interesting and enjoyable to read about.  The main part of the story took a while to get into but I felt like once Kvothe got to the university things were really exciting and interesting.  It was a little reminiscent of an older Harry Potter.

One thing I noticed was that being such a big book, there were so many characters it was hard to keep track of them all for a while.  Eventually I managed to figure out who was who and picked out some characters I liked and others I thought were a little annoying.

Overall, I thought that The Name of the Wind was a really interesting book and being a fan of high fantasy I would say that it’s a good thing to read for anyone who enjoys the high fantasy genre.  I’m very interested in reading the next book in the series.

Source: Purchased

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!