Wednesday, January 15, 2014

New Adult

So, I know that I’m a tad late with this post but I’ve had it sitting in my documents for a really long time and finally decided to finish it.

The short version: I feel like it’s just another label that I’m still not 100% sure if it should really hold a place on shelves.

I almost feel like the title new adult seems kind of degrading.  Almost like you’re a beginner and need to be spoon fed some easier books or something.

The long version:  So I know that there are young adult books and adult books although sometimes there were crossovers and I guess you could say that now these crossovers would be deemed as new adult.
I heard about this term last year quite a while ago, it’s just taken me this long to actually write a post about it.  Anyway, from what I heard back then, new adult was a term used to describe books featuring people between 18 and 25 but now I am hearing that it’s like that but also with steamier sex scenes.

Now correct me if I am wrong but I feel like there are already a bunch of books with characters of this age group.  They’re found in the fiction category of bookshelves and there are a number of urban fantasy novels that I could point out which contain characters of this age group.

Does adding a new category actually make a difference?  I really feel like you can just pick up books of this type in either adult or young adult.

There are a few things that I don’t particularly like about this either.  Is it a way of justifying older people reading young adult type books?  If so, I don’t think it should matter.  Most people who read young adult who are over the age of 18 really don’t care what other people think.

My other thing is, are they trying to put books into specific categories for certain age groups?  Does this mean that soon we will see such things as senior fiction, a genre specifically aimed at those aged 55+

I’m sure that there could be some benefit to this, such as a handy marketing tool for publishing companies, but I personally, don’t think it’s something that fantastic.  I just feel like it’s trying to put even more labels onto things as humans seem to be very good at categorising things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!