Friday, December 6, 2013

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Title: Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Author: Jeff Lindsay

Published: Orion Books, 2005

Series: Book 1, Dexter

Pages: 275

Summary: Dexter Morgan appears to be the perfect gentleman. He leads a normal, quiet life working as a forensic officer for the Miami police. He has a nice, shy girlfriend and is liked by her young children.

But Dexter has a secret hobby. He's an accomplished serial killer. So far he's killed dozens of people and has never been caught, because he knows exactly how to dispose of the evidence. And there are those who would rather he wasn't caught at all, because Dexter is a serial killer with a difference. He only kills the city's bad guys. Then Dexter's well-organized life is thrown into chaos. Another serial killer is invading his territory - and he wants Dexter to come out and play...  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After watching the tv series and absolutely loving it I was really excited and interested in reading the book series.  After reading the first book I have to say that I am definitely curious as to how the next book will go.

If you’ve seen the first season of Dexter then you pretty much know the rough plot of the first book.  There are of course variations and one thing that surprised me a little is just how little there is in the book.  I felt like there was so much missing and that some details were just skipped over.  This could just be due to my having watched the tv series first.

There were a few changes from the tv series, mainly the ending which I am very curious about and because of how the ending was done it has definitely got me curious about how the next book in the series will go.
I felt like the characters didn’t have a lot of development, they were just there and that was really it.  This could possibly be the way that Dexter perceives everyone which would make sense.

Overall, I really enjoyed Darkly, Dreaming Dexter and felt like it was just as exciting as the tv series.  I am definitely curious to see what the next book in the series will be like.

Source: Purchased

1 comment:

  1. I never watched the show, may have seen 1-2 episodes. I thought I would try the books but didn't enjoy this one enough to go on. Glad you enjoy both.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!