Monday, December 9, 2013

Carrie by Stephen King

Title: Carrie

Author: Stephen King

Published: Hodder & Stroughton, 2011 (first published 242)

Pages: 242

Summary: Carrie White is no ordinary girl.

Carrie White has the gift of telekinesis.

To be invited to Prom Night by Tommy Ross is a dream come true for Carrie - the first step towards social acceptance by her high school colleagues.
But events will take a decidedly macabre turn on that horrifying and endless night as she is forced to exercise her terrible gift on the town that mocks and loathes her . . . (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I started reading this one when I found out they were making a new movie for it and so I wanted to read it before I went and seen the new movie.  I have seen the original movie and I did find it to be enjoyable.  I felt that knowing the plot of Carrie didn’t take away from the book at all because right from the start you know roughly what will happen anyway.

The book is told as a narrative but also has snippets of books, articles and other types of reports that relate to the events of the book.  I found this to be quite interesting but I also felt like it was a little disjointed because there aren’t any chapters in Carrie.

While there were some parts of the book I found to be really interesting I did find some parts of it to just be a little dry and they seemed to drag on a bit.

Overall, I did find Carrie to be quite an interesting book and I can see why a lot of people enjoyed it.  This is the first novel of Stephen King’s that I have read and while I didn’t find it horrifying I am curious as to see what some other novels of his are like.

If you enjoyed the movie and haven’t read the book yet, I would definitely suggest doing so because it’s always fun to see how different or how similar books and movie adaptions are to each other.

Source: Own Copy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!