Friday, December 13, 2013

Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Title: Asylum

Author: Madeleine Roux

Published: HarperTeen, August 2013

Pages: 310

Summary: For sixteen-year-old Dan Crawford, New Hampshire College Prep is more than a summer program—it's a lifeline. An outcast at his high school, Dan is excited to finally make some friends in his last summer before college. But when he arrives at the program, Dan learns that his dorm for the summer used to be a sanatorium, more commonly known as an asylum. And not just any asylum—a last resort for the criminally insane.

As Dan and his new friends, Abby and Jordan, explore the hidden recesses of their creepy summer home, they soon discover it's no coincidence that the three of them ended up here. Because the asylum holds the key to a terrifying past. And there are some secrets that refuse to stay buried.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After I heard that Asylum was a creepy book with creepy photos scattered throughout the book to add to the story I was intrigued.  I had read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and was interested in how this book would do.

The premise of the story was really interesting but I found the book hard to read.  For starters, I wasn’t a fan of any of the characters.  Dan was weird, and was supposed to be but his weirdness was to the point where I just couldn’t connect with him on any level.

I felt as though the pictures in the book didn’t really help with the plot and it was just sort of random when they would show up.  I felt like the majority of them were just there to add something to the lack of amazing plotline within the story.

There were all of these strange things going on and I felt like they missed being explained, either that or I missed something somewhere.  Some things would happen but then they were never acknowledged again which I thought was strange.  Then the reveals left too much to guess at so I wasn’t entirely sure if certain things were because of one thing or another thing within in the plot.

I thought the book was interesting and if done slightly better it could have made a good story, however, because I was only more confused by the end of the book, I thought it was just an ok read.
 
Source: Library

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I'm sad to hear Asylum didn't work out for you.

    I see you're currently reading The Name of the Wind, I love Patrick Rothfuss! Hope you're enjoying it! ^^

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!