Friday, November 29, 2013

Unnatural Exposure by Patricia Cornwell

Title: Unnatural Exposure

Author: Patricia Cornwell

Published: Sphere, 2010 (first published 1997)

Pages: 384

Series: Book 8, Kay Scarpetta

Summary: Virginia Medical Examiner Kay Scarpetta has a bloody puzzle on her hands: five headless, limbless cadavers in Ireland, plus four similar victims in a landfill back home. Is a serial butcher loose in Virginia? That's what the panicked public thinks, thanks to a local TV reporter who got the leaked news from her boyfriend, Scarpetta's vile rival, Investigator Percy Ring. But the butchered bodies are so many red herrings intended to throw idiots like Ring off the track. Instead of a run-of-the-mill serial killer, we're dealing with a shadowy figure who has plans involving mutant smallpox, mass murder, and messing with Scarpetta's mind by e-mailing her gory photos of the murder scenes, along with cryptic AOL chat-room messages. The coolest innovation: Scarpetta's gorgeous genius niece, Lucy, equips her with a DataGlove and a VPL Eyephone, and she takes a creepy virtual tour of the e-mailed crime scene.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I have some strong feelings about Unnatural Exposure.  Some of these are positive and then some of them are negative.

This book has to be more engrossing than all of the books in the series so far.  Mostly because this virus was so interesting and I just had to know more about it and the outbreak that could potentially occur.  The descriptive detail was quite graphic and I found myself cringing as I was reading the gruesome description.

Kay’s behaviour in this book was so irritating.  Allow me this paragraph to get rant.  First of all, she starts being horrible about Benton and avoiding him and I seriously don’t see how Lucy and Marino could put up with that I mean seriously!  Then she acted like such a brat in other situations and I just really felt as though throughout the novel she was so selfish and it just drove me insane.

I’m curious as to how the next book will go as there was a mystery that was still left open so it might possibly reappear in the next book.  It would be a little strange if it didn’t in all honesty.

I quite enjoyed Unnatural Exposure, the mystery element was really awesome as I love reading about epidemics and how they find the source, where it came from and all of that sort of information.  Hence, I really enjoyed that aspect.  I just found Kay’s behaviour to be irritating.  I’m still enjoying the series as a whole and can’t wait for the next book in the series.

Source: Purchased

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!