Friday, November 15, 2013

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Title: Once Burned

Author: Jeaniene Frost

Published: Avon, 2012

Series: Book 1, Night Prince

Pages: She's a mortal with dark powers...

After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: terrifying powers that let her channel electricity and learn a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire...

He's the Prince of Night...
Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all—but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him—a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites between them, threatening to consume them both. It will take everything that they are to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: As someone who loved Vlad in the Night Huntress books I was so happy that he had been given his own little series and so I have been really excited to read this one since it first came out.  I actually had this one on pre-order but it sat on my shelf for a long time before I actually managed to pick it up.

That being said, now having read the book I am happy that I did but I also feel a little disappointed.  I just feel a little like Vlad was kind of boring in this book.  I wanted to get to know him a little more but really I didn’t feel like I discovered anything new and if anything, I found Vlad to be a little uninteresting.

Leila was an interesting character, but I didn’t find her to be someone that I really liked.  I thought it was great how she liked to fight her own battles.  The one thing that I found to be really awesome about her were her powers and I couldn’t but wonder what they would be like if she ever became a vampire.

I really enjoyed the story in this one.  At first I thought that this mysterious enemy was someone that was briefly mentioned in one of the previous books in the Night Huntress series but then I found out it was someone different.  It was still interesting but this person who was mentioned once or twice in the Night Huntress series would have been a far better and more interesting person.

I did however, find Once Burned enjoyable and I am interested in reading the next book in the series, which I just happen to already have.

Source: Purchased

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!