Monday, July 22, 2013

The Body Farm by Patricia Cornwell

Title: The Body Farm

Author: Patricia Cornwell

Published: Sphere (originally published 1994)

Pages: 384

Series: Book 5, Kay Scarpetta

Summary: Black Mountain, North Carolina: a sleepy little town where the local police deal with one homicide a year, if they're unlucky, and where people are still getting used to the idea of locking their doors at night.

But violent death is no respector of venue, and the discovery of the corpse of an eleven-year-old girl sends shock waves through the community. Dr Kay Scarpetta, Chief Medical Examiner on a similar case in Virginia, is called in to apply her forensic skills to this latest atrocity, but the apparent simplicity of the case proves something of a poisoned chalice - until Scarpetta finds enlightenment through the curious pathologists' playground known as the Body Farm... (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After reading the first four books in the series I was so excited to start this one.  As soon as I had the book in my hands I started reading it and didn’t put it down until I finished it.

I love these books so much, they have this air of mystery which I absolutely love and then it also has the scientific element involving the forensics and I think it’s really good because there are computer forensics in there sometimes too.

One thing that bothers me a little book about this series is that I find it really odd that for every male Kay works worth they either have romantic feelings for her or they really do not like her.  Surely, there should be some guys who either only views her as a friend or as a neutral acquaintance.

I feel like some of the characters in this book went a little off the deep end and their behaviour was so not like them from the previous books.  Only one of the character’s issues had some semblance of being resolved so it will be interesting how the next book portrays these characters.

Not trying to divulge spoilers I just want to say that I think it’s great that there is actually some continuity between this book and the last in terms of the crimes although, that was once again left open as it seemed to be forgotten about in the last few chapters.

I did however, have my suspicions about who was behind some of the crimes taking place in the book and I was surprised by how I was right which was just awesome.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Body Farm and I will be curious to see what happens next in the series.

Source: Purchased

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!