Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Synopsis Etiquette

Or, what should and should not be in the summary when reading the jacket or back of a book.

DO NOT:

Tell me everything that is going to happen in the book!  There are some books out there that give a summary of practically everything that is going to happen in the book.  I don’t like this as I would actually like to read the book and discover the ending for myself.

Give me a description that sounds absolutely amazing but is not at all what the story is about.

Describe the tiniest portion of a book so that I think that must be the main focus of the book when in fact it is a minute fraction of the book.

DO:

Give enough details that I will understand the tone of the book and what the main focus of the book will be without giving away any spoilers.


Make the book sound intriguing and something that I would want to pick up without stretching the truth of the contents too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!