Friday, July 19, 2013

She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith

Title: She Stoops to Conquer

Author: Oliver Goldsmith

Published: Kessinger Publishing, 2004 (first published 1773)

Pages: 84

Summary: MISS HARDCASTLE. (Alone). Lud, this news of papa's puts me all in a flutter. Young, handsome: these he put last; but I put them foremost. Sensible, good-natured; I like all that. But then reserved and sheepish; that's much against him. Yet can't he be cured of his timidity, by being taught to be proud of his wife? Yes, and can't I--But I vow I'm disposing of the husband before I have secured the lover.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: It has been a while since I've sat down and read through a play but I do enjoy reading through plays so I was quite interested in reading She Stoops to Conquer.

The story line of She Stoops to Conquer was quite an interesting story.  It’s typical of a romantic comedy although in reading about this play after, I discovered that there is a large debate over which type of comedy this play contains.

I was lucky enough to listen to this through audio but I found an ebook version online to read through as well.  I found the audio was good because as this is a play it’s meant to be performed and so I got a feel for how the characters act and such.

I enjoyed the writing style and the language used, which given this book was written in the 1700’s is something to be admired.  I always enjoy older prose as it has a more sophisticated feel to it.

Overall, I would say that I really enjoyed reading She Stoops to Conquer it had a lot of funny parts and was a really enjoyable story.  I would definitely recommend this to those who enjoy reading comedic plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!