Friday, June 7, 2013

The Hit by Melvin Burgess

Title: The Hit

Author: Melvin Burgess

Published: Chicken House, April 2013

Pages: 303

Summary: Take it. Live it. F*** it.

A new drug is out. Everyone is talking about it. The Hit. Take it, and you have one amazing week to live. It's the ultimate high. At the ultimate price.

Adam is tempted. Life is rubbish, his girlfriend's over him, his brother's gone. So what's he got to lose? Everything, as it turns out. It's up to his girlfriend, Lizzie, to show him...  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I saw this book on the book depository as a special signed edition and because I really liked the sound of the premise and I had enjoyed some of Melvin Burgess’ other books before I thought it would be a good idea to read this one.

I have a couple of issues with this book in that I had hoped that the protagonist was going to be in his early to mid-twenties and not seventeen.  Had I known this was going to be a young adult novel I would probably not have picked it up.  I felt like it made the whole book reeks of teen angst and it just made it a little bit too disappointing for me.

The book talks about how there’s a revolution going on and how there are riots and things like that but I feel like we’re more told rather than shown this.  You find out along the book snippets about the riot but there isn’t really a full explanation as to why or how this revolution started.

I thought that the story line had some potential but I felt like it kind of lost what it was all about and the conclusions the book came too just weren’t the ones I had hoped for.  Not to mention the resolutions of problems in the plot just seemed to be so easy to come to even though the characters were struggling throughout the book.

Overall, I’m not sure about The Hit.  I feel as though it had potential but just lost it in the end.  It’s hard for me to recommend this one because it just wasn’t my type of book but if you think this sounds like your kind of book then don’t let my opinion deter you from trying it out.

Source: Purchased

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!