Friday, June 21, 2013

Body of Evidence by Patricia Cornwell

Title: Body of Evidence

Author: Patricia Cornwell

Published: Time Warner, 2004

Pages: 387

Series: Book 2, Kay Scarpetta

Summary: A reclusive writer is dead. And her final manuscript has disappeared...

Someone is after Beryl Madison. Someone who spies on her and makes threatening, obscene phone calls. Terrified, she flees to Key West—but eventually she must return to her Richmond home. The very night she arrives, Beryl inexplicably invites her killer...

Thus begins for Dr Kay Scarpetta the investigation of a crime that is as convoluted as it is bizarre. Why would Beryl open the door to someone who brutally slashed and then nearly decapitated her? Did she know her killer? Adding to the intrigue is Beryl's enigmatic relationship with a prize-winning author and the disappearance of her own manuscript.
As Scarpetta retraces Beryl's footsteps, an investigation that begins in the laboratory with microscopes and lasers leads her deep into a nightmare that soon becomes her own.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After reading the first book in the series and loving it I was really excited to start on the second book.  Needless to say I was very happy to read Body of Evidence as it was just as good, if not better, than the first book in the series.

The mystery in Body of Evidence was very engaging, I would sit down and read a little section of the book and I just had to keep reading whole chapters and the chapters in this book aren’t completely short.

I enjoy the interaction between Kay and Marino, they have these really grating personalities but they also agree on things where it counts and I just really love it.

I also really enjoy reading through the scientific explanations of some of the forensic processes, you do have to keep in mind that this was written in the very early 90’s but that didn’t bother me at all.  I find a lot of forensic science to be rather fascinating.

There was one thing that I thought was a little bit off about this book and that was Kay’s actions, or lack of action per se, I felt like for a lot of the book she was just going with the motions and it wasn’t until the last couple of chapters that she actually started to do what people had been telling her to do in the first place.

Other than that, I really loved Body of Evidence and thought it was fantastic, I’m really loving the series and am hoping that I can get caught up over the course of the rest of the year, which is actually a big ask as there are 21 books in the series so far!

Source: Purchased

3 comments:

  1. I have to say, don't set the goal to read them all to catch up. They are amazing but you get to a point of really not being happy with them.

    I need to get to her last 2 though, maybe your review will help me put them higher on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what I'll do is just keep reading them until I get bored or stop enjoying them as much so I'll move onto something else.

      Delete
  2. I really like the sound of this book. I will for sure be adding this book to my list to read. :)

    Ann@Blogging E-books

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!