Monday, June 24, 2013

14 by Peter Clines

Title: 14

Author: Peter Clines

Published: Permuted Press, 2012

Pages: 350

Purchase Links:
Book Depository*

Summary: Padlocked doors. Strange light fixtures. Mutant cockroaches.

There are some odd things about Nate’s new apartment. 

Of course, he has other things on his mind. He hates his job. He has no money in the bank. No girlfriend. No plans for the future. So while his new home isn’t perfect, it’s livable. The rent is low, the property managers are friendly, and the odd little mysteries don’t nag at him too much. 

At least, not until he meets Mandy, his neighbor across the hall, and notices something unusual about her apartment. And Xela’s apartment. And Tim’s. And Veek’s. 

Because every room in this old Los Angeles brownstone has a mystery or two. Mysteries that stretch back over a hundred years. Some of them are in plain sight. Some are behind locked doors. And all together these mysteries could mean the end of Nate and his friends. 
Or the end of everything...  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I’ve been in a sort of reading slump lately in that I haven’t been able to find the perfect sort of book for my mood.  Starting 14, I thought I had chosen another book that wasn’t going to be what I wanted to read.  As I read on however, I found myself engrossed in the mystery that is the Kavach building.

I wanted a book that had a chilling factor as well as a mystery element.  14 is that kind of book.  I would read a chapter and then find myself reading more chapters because I had to know what was going on, things were so mysterious and the atmosphere of the story was so creepy that I was loving every part of it.

The more that you read into 14 it becomes obvious that this is a horror and science fiction type of book and I loved it.  There were a few explanations of things that were going on that I really enjoyed.  I love the science fiction novels that offer explanations of what is happening.

One thing to note is that this book is full of references from things like Scooby Doo to Fringe.  It was really awesome and I don’t feel like it was at all overdone.  It kind of grounded the book a little bit more in the real world too which was quite cool.

I have to say that I thought the ending could go one of two ways and it ended the way that I had hoped it would which was really awesome.

Overall, I really enjoyed 14 by Peter Clines, it has action, it has mystery and it is a great story.  I would definitely recommend giving this one a try.

Source: NetGalley

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that that you can make money by locking premium pages of your blog or website?
    To start just join Mgcash and run their content locking tool.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!