Friday, April 12, 2013

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

Title: The Last Wish

Author: Andrzej Sapkowski

Published: Gollancz, 2012

Pages: 280

Series: Book 1, The Witcher

Summary: Geralt was always going to stand out, with his white hair and piercing eyes, his cynicism and lack of respect for authority ... but he is far more than a striking-looking man. He's a witcher, with powers that make him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin - his targets are the vile fiends that ravage the land.

As guardian of the innocent, Geralt meets incestuous kings with undead daughters, vengeful djinns, shrieking harpies, lovelorn vampires and despondent ghouls. Many are pernicious, some are merely, and none are quite as they appear.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I had some apprehension when it came to reading The Last Wish but when I started it I found myself genuinely interested in the story.  This book series is what started off The Witcher game and I can see through reading the book, how these stories could be translated over into video games because the stories leave themselves open for that sort of thing.

I found all of the short stories to be really interesting and if I had to pick a favourite I wouldn’t be able to because I found them all to be of the same quality.  I wouldn’t say they were absolutely perfect but I would say that I definitely enjoyed them.

One small issue I had was with the structure and wording of some of the sentences.  It just seemed to be worded strangely and this could just be from the translation.  It initially distracted me but as I got further into the book I found it not so bad.

Overall, I enjoyed reading The Last Wish.  It was an entertaining book and I am curious to continue with the book series as well as possibly venture into the video games.  I think anyone who enjoys a good fantasy novel will enjoy this one.

Source: Purchased

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!