Monday, April 15, 2013

How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff

Title: How to Lie with Statistics

Author: Darrell Huff

Published: Penguin Group, 2009

Pages: 142

Summary: Darrell Huff runs the gamut of every popularly used type of statistic, probes such things as the sample study, the tabulation method, the interview technique, or the way the results are derived from the figures, and points up the countless number of dodges which are used to fool rather than inform.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I really enjoyed this one.  It had been on my list of books that I need to read for such a long time that I am glad to say that I have finally read it.


While the examples are somewhat dated considering this book was originally published in the 50’s, the statistics still apply and the wrongdoings of the statistics are still happening and relevant.  The little cartoons add to the book and just give it a lighter and more fun feeling.

What I loved the most about this book is that it was really simplistic in the writing and even easy to understand so anyone can read it; even those who don’t have a lot of background in statistics.  I feel like it’s a good tool or guide when reading statistics in newspaper articles and in news reports.

I think that anyone interested in either what not to do when writing a report using statistics or how other people can try to give you misleading information will definitely enjoy reading this book.  I would definitely recommend that anyone who works in a statistical job should give this one a read too.

Source: Purchased

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!