Friday, April 5, 2013

Guys Read: Funny Business

Title: Guys Read: Funny Business

Editor: Jon Scieszka

Contributing Authors:  


Summary: It’s here: Volume One of the official Guys Read Library. Jon Scieszka’s Guys Read initiative was founded on a simple premise: that young guys enjoy reading most when they have reading they can enjoy. And out of this comes a series that aims to give them just that. Ten books, arranged by theme, featuring the best of the best where writing for kids is concerned. Each book is a collection of original short stories, but these aren’t your typical anthologies—each book is edgy, inventive, visual, and one-of-a-kind, featuring a different theme for guys to get excited about.
Funny Business is based around the theme of—what else?—humor, and if you’re familiar with Jon and Guys Read, you already know what you’re in store for: ten hilarious stories from some of the funniest writers around. Before you’re through, you’ll meet a teenage mummy; a kid desperate to take a dip in the world’s largest pool of chocolate milk; a homicidal turkey; parents who hand over their son’s room to a biker; the only kid in his middle school who hasn’t turned into a vampire, wizard, or superhero; and more. (Taken from Goodreads)
Thoughts: There is a range of different stories in this one and I have some thoughts on each story individually so I thought I would talk a little bit about each story.
Best of Friends
I had an idea of how this story would go but I was actually a little bit wrong and the ending was not how I had expected it to go.  I thought the story was pretty entertaining.

Will
Will was not a story I was expecting at all.  It’s set in a world different from ours because a lot of the characters have different abilities and special powers.  I wouldn’t define this one as comedy but I would still say that it’s a really entertaining science fiction/ fantasy read.

Artemis Begins
I really enjoyed this one.  I thought it was well-written and it had quite a few funny parts.  I could see what would happen in the end but I still really enjoyed reading through this one.

Kid Appeal
I thought that this one had some funny moments in it.  I did laugh out loud at a couple of things but I felt like there was something missing with the story.

Your Question for Author Here
I thought this story was pretty good.  The story was intriguing and the ending was predictable but I thought that it was a well-written and interesting story.

A Fistful of Feathers
The ending of this one was really funny and I enjoyed reading through it but I did find it to be a really long story and some of the parts were a little dull.  I would say it’s worth reading through for the ending though.

Unaccompanied Minors
I don’t have a lot to say about this one.  It was basically just a bunch of little stories where the brothers play pranks on each other.  It was interesting enough but not the greatest story I’ve ever read.

What? You think you got it rough?
This one was basically just about a guy whose Grandad was quite a mean guy.  Nothing exceptionally intriguing happened in this one it just wasn’t all that appealing to me either.

My Parents gave my Bedroom to a biker
I thought this one was interesting at first but then when it got into the story it edged over to absurd and I just really didn’t like the direction that it headed.

The Bloody Souvenir
Oh my goodness, I’m not usually squeamish but I did feel a little weak reading this one, ugh it was just so gross.  It was funny but man the main character was very very idiotic which I laughed at but was also really grossed out by his actions.  Not wanting to give away let’s just say he tries to deal with a wart he finds on his foot, all by himself.  Eww it was a little gross but still an entertaining read.  I have to say that it was a good finish to the book because I did have a smile on my face after finishing it.

Source: Audiobook Sync

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!