Monday, April 22, 2013

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Title: Fahrenheit 451

Author: Ray Bradbury

Published: Ballantyne Books, 1991

Pages: 190

Summary: Guy Montag was a fireman whose job it was to start fires...

The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning ... along with the houses in which they were hidden.

Guy Montag enjoyed his job. He had been a fireman for ten years, and he had never questioned the pleasure of the midnight runs nor the joy of watching pages consumed by flames... never questioned anything until he met a seventeen-year-old girl who told him of a past when people were not afraid.
Then he met a professor who told him of a future in which people could think... and Guy Montag suddenly realized what he had to do!  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I have a lot of thoughts about Fahrenheit 451 but it’s really difficult to put them into coherent words on this page.  I feel like the book was so well written and well thought out that anything I have to say about it probably won’t do the book any justice.

Let’s start with Guy Montag; he’s a strange character.  I suppose he starts out as just another average guy who carries on about life until a couple of events leave him curious.  I have to wonder if he didn’t already have a questioning spark in his mind or whether or not one day his mind got a little bit more curious from one of the events that took place in the book.  It’s something I’ve been pondering for a while.

The story is really tragic but at the same time, it’s highly engrossing.  Guy Montag just does some incredibly outrageous things and you just have to keep reading to find out if he will be caught or if things will just get overlooked.  I definitely feel like Fahrenheit 451 makes a point of the old saying that every action has a consequence.

I’m still thinking about the overall idea of the story.  Would it have been better for Guy Montag if he had never read any books or if he had burned them straight away?  Were the people in control, right for banning books because they only encourage more people to think for themselves and to question?  These are the thoughts that Fahrenheit 451 has left me with.

Overall, I think that Fahrenheit 451 is such a great book and it leaves you thinking and questioning everything that happened within the book for days after.  I know that I am not going to easily forget Fahrenheit 451 so I would definitely recommend this book to others.

Source: Library

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!