Monday, March 4, 2013

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Title: Ten

Author: Gretchen McNeil

Published: Balzer + Bray, 2012

Pages: 304

Summary: It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.
Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Having recently read And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie I was keen to read this retelling.  I have to say for a YA retelling of the book it was quite well done.

Sure, it wasn’t perfect but nothing ever is.  For the first quarter of the book I was so confused as to who was Meg and who was Minnie, it was hard to distinguish the two when their names were so similar.  I eventually managed to figure it out but it was really annoying at the start of the book.

I really liked how the book made you feel like you were reading one of those cheesy horror films, it was pretty cool.  I enjoy watching those films every now and then so it was cool to experience it in a reading format.

I was curious as to who the bad guy could be.  I knew roughly the formula for what would happen but that didn’t tell me who the bad guy could be and I have to say that I was guessing right up until the very end and I was a little surprised by who it was.

Overall, I thought that Ten was quite an enjoyable read and it didn’t take me too long to read through either.  If you’re a fan of horror then you will probably enjoy Ten by Gretchen McNeil.

Source: Purchased

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!