Friday, March 22, 2013

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder

Author: Marissa Meyer

Published: Feiwel & Friends, 2012

Pages: 387

Series: Book 1, Lunar Chronicles

Summary: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I like fairytale retellings but I feel as though I almost never actually read any.  After talking to my sister who had read the book she suggested that I read it so I did.  I do like Cinderella, I remember spending hours when I was younger reading the book so I was fairly interested in reading Cinder.

The story was quite interesting but because it’s a retelling of Cinderella the things to concentrate on are the settings and the characterisation.  I thought that the setting was definitely intriguing.  It’s Beijing in the future and there are a species of people from the moon known as Lunars who have these powers that are really interesting.  I’d be interested to learn a bit more about these Lunars.

I thought that Cinder was an awesome protagonist, she was strong and independent which just made her that much more of a lovable character.  I liked her stepsister Peony too, I thought she was a good friend to Cinder.  Really, I thought that all of the good characters were written really well and that all the ‘bad’ characters were written well too.  Each one was in their place and you really knew that someone was antagonistic and that someone was good.

I liked how there were the vague references to things that were in the original story such as the slipper/foot and the coach to the ball.  It was just little things like that, that really made me enjoy the story.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Cinder and I thought it was a really interesting and well-done retelling.  I think if anyone likes retellings and novels set in the future then I think that you’ll quite enjoy this one.  I’m curious as to how the rest of the season will go as there seemed to be some hinting at other characters who might later appear.

Source: Own copy

1 comment:

  1. Yay I'm glad that you ended up liking this book! It was in my top ten of last year and I really need to find the time to read Scarlet.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!