Friday, February 15, 2013

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Title: Seraphina

Author:  Rachel Hartman

Published: Random House Books for Young Readers, 2012

Pages: 451

Purchase Links:
Book Depository*

Series: Book 1, Seraphina

Summary: Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: It’s been a while since I’ve read a fantasy novel, so I was pretty excited to read Seraphina by Rachel Hartman as I absolutely love dragons, strong females and books in a high fantasy setting.  Needless to say Seraphina did not disappoint me.

There were parts of the book that left me feeling a little heartbroken to be honest.  There were moments when Seraphina was feeling so alone and isolated that I had tears in my eyes because I could feel her pain.  There was one certain scene that had me on the edge of my seat just wishing I could have been there for Seraphina.

Rachel Hartman’s writing is so amazing.  Pages flew past me because I was so caught up in the spell that is her writing.  Each word spilt onto the page just added so much to the story that I really felt like I was there and that I could relate to everyone and everything in the story.

As someone who loves dragons I knew I would love this book and I did.  The dragons are so interesting and I love how they think and see the world so differently to humans.  It just makes the book all the more interesting.

As far as characters go I loved so many of them.  Seraphina, Kiggs, Orma, Glisselda, Lars, there were just so many amazing characters that it would be hard to just name one as my favourite because they’re all strong and unique individuals that I just couldn’t help but love.

The mystery aspect was everything I could have asked for; there were clues, some possible suspects, a red herring or two and the reveal which was just great.  I didn’t even guess at who the culprit was.

Overall, I absolutely loved Seraphina and I feel like I could go on about it forever.  My only issue with it is that I now have to wait for the sequel.

Source: Own copy

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!