Friday, January 11, 2013

Velveteen by Daniel Marks

Title: Velveteen

Author: Daniel Marks

Published: Delacorte Books for Young Readers, 2012

Pages: 464

Purchase Links:
Book Depository*

Summary: Velveteen Monroe is dead. At 16, she was kidnapped and murdered by a madman named Bonesaw. But that’s not the problem.

The problem is she landed in purgatory. And while it’s not a fiery inferno, it’s certainly no heaven. It’s gray, ashen, and crumbling more and more by the day, and everyone has a job to do. Which doesn’t leave Velveteen much time to do anything about what’s really on her mind.

Bonesaw.

Velveteen aches to deliver the bloody punishment her killer deserves. And she’s figured out just how to do it. She’ll haunt him for the rest of his days. 

It’ll be brutal... and awesome.

But crossing the divide between the living and the dead has devastating consequences. Velveteen’s obsessive haunting cracks the foundations of purgatory and jeopardizes her very soul. A risk she’s willing to take—except fate has just given her reason to stick around: an unreasonably hot and completely off-limits coworker.

Velveteen can’t help herself when it comes to breaking rules... or getting revenge. And she just might be angry enough to take everyone down with her.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: As soon as I read the synopsis of Velveteen I was sold, it sounded like such an awesome book.  I have to say though, that while the synopsis leads one to believe that this book is more about Velvet’s revenge on Bonesaw it is actually also about purgatory and what happens up there.

I still really enjoyed the book though.  The purgatory part was really interesting and I thought it was quite unique.  I also really enjoyed the bits where Velvet was in the land of the living and seeking revenge on Bonesaw.

The characters were interesting and I found myself really liking Velvet.  I also really liked Nick because he just seemed a very interesting and mysterious character.

I thought the ending was a good one and I’m hoping that eventually there will be a sequel to Velveteen but to be honest I would be happy enough for a release of anything from Daniel Marks as he is a very talented writer and just has this sort of gore factor that leads to something different.

Velveteen was a unique novel and I really loved it.  There’s not a lot else to say really.  I admit that the twisted sense of humour within the book probably isn’t for everyone but it was right up my alley.

Source: NetGalley

1 comment:

  1. Velveteen was a refreshingly dark new take on the afterlife and Reapers. The imagery contrast between this life and the next brought this book to life, or in this case to the afterlife. Velveteen's struggle both in her current state and the continuing battle with her death kept the story going nonstop. I can't wait to see what happens next!
    Great site for Divorce Lawyer Seattle Information

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!