Monday, January 14, 2013

Darkwater by Georgia Blain

Title: Darkwater

Author: Georgia Blain

Published: Random House Australia, 2010

Pages: 278

Summary: Amanda Clarke is dead. 

Her body was found floating facedown by the riverbank, and no one knows what happened. As rumours fly and fear grows, it seems that everyone suspects Lyndon, one of Amanda's friends. He's known for his temper, his cruelty and his criminal family - and now the police want to talk to him. 
It's the end of summer, 1973, the heat is enough to melt asphalt and a sleepy riverside suburb is losing some of its innocence. Fifteen-year-old Winter went to the same school and hung out in the same places as Amanda. As she finds herself alone in trying to defend Lyndon, Winter learns that you can never really know someone - and the answers she has been looking for are closer than she has ever wanted to believe.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I thought Darkwater would be an intense mystery and while there are mystery parts the main focus isn’t on clues and the investigation but on Winter and the events surrounding Amanda’s mysterious death.

I quite enjoyed Darkwater and I managed to read it in a day because the pages tend to read quite fast and the story is pretty engrossing.  I was able to guess who had played a part in Amanda’s death although the why wasn’t what I had thought it would be.

I felt that there was one part of the story that was just sort of tacked on and I felt like it was just shoved in there for the sake of being a part of the investigation on Amanda.

The characters were all quite interesting and I enjoyed reading from Winter’s perspective.  I found it sort of fitting that someone who wasn’t too close to Amanda, nor too distant from her was the narrator.  It meant that the judgements on people and what they had done was closer to neutral than anything else.  I liked that.
I liked Nicky too, he just seemed like a really cool guy and I found the parts of the book with him in them to be really interesting.  I liked Lyndon too, I just really felt like I could sympathise with him.

The book is set in the 70’s and this is usually a turn off for me but reading through Darkwater it honestly didn’t bother me so much.  I thought it was a nice difference.

Overall, I thought that Darkwater was an interesting read.  It wasn’t perfect but it was entertaining and good for an afternoon sitting when it’s too hot to do anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!