Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Title: The Grapes of Wrath

Author: John Steinbeck

Published: Penguin Classics, 2006

Pages: 464

Summary: The novel focuses on the Joads, a poor family of sharecroppers driven from their Oklahoma home by drought, economic hardship, and changes in financial and agricultural industries. Due to their nearly hopeless situation, and in part because they were trapped in the Dust Bowl, the Joads set out for California. Along with thousands of other "Okies", they sought jobs, land, dignity and a future.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Before I started this book I hadn't really heard a lot about it and I had no clue what it was about.  I had heard a lot of good things about John Steinbeck as a writer though so I was interested in giving this one a try.

I feel like the pace of the story was a little slow and I did find myself getting bored but that the overall message of the story was a really good one.  I did find my mind start wandering at various parts of the plot but I also feel that once I got to the end I was glad I had read it just because it was a rewarding feeling.

One thing I found to be slightly confusing was all the characters.  So many of them had quite similar names and smaller roles so there were a few times where I got quite confused about who was who and that took me away from the story a little bit.

The ending itself was one that I enjoyed.  It stopped in a place that leaves you thinking about what happens next and I found it just really got me thinking about it.

Overall, I enjoyed The Grapes of Wrath; this extremely well-written novel is definitely a book that leaves you thinking at the end.

Source: Borrowed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!