Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Title: The Woman in White


Author: Wilkie Collins


Published: Penguin Classics, 2003


Pages: 672


Summary: The Woman in White is a Victorian melodrama concerning a mysterious woman in white who bears an uncanny resemblance to the fiancee of Lord Glyde, a sophisticated fortune hunter. (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: As soon as I finished reading this book I let out a huge breath.  This tome of a novel is by no means an easy read.


At times I found the plot to be very tedious and there was many a time where I was ready to close the book and set it aside for good.  However, me being me, I carried through and for about the first 350-400 pages I thought the book was boring but it really picked up towards the end.

There was this patch where everything got really exciting and I couldn’t put it down because I just had to read through it.

Then it got boring again.  I sort of felt the ending carried on a lot more than what it should have.  I thought things had been resolved to a decent extent but then the story continued and it actually got really intriguing again right at the end.

So what I’m saying in that long ramble is that the book had a lot of really boring parts and then a lot of very interesting parts.

I quite enjoyed the story and thought it was very different to others I have read.  I can see why it’s a classic because it’s actually a really good story line.  The writing style is absolutely marvellous as well.

I just happened to find it really dull at some points but thinking back on it, it actually was necessary to have those parts in the story.

Overall, I actually thoroughly enjoyed The Woman in White.  It wasn’t quite what I had thought it would be.  There’s something really fulfilling about reading a book of over 600 pages and while I did find myself getting really bored at parts, I actually thoroughly enjoyed the book as a whole.

Source: Own Copy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!