Monday, August 27, 2012

The Small Hand by Susan Hill

Title: The Small Hand


Author: Susan Hill


Published: Profile Books, 2010


Pages: 176


Summary: Returning home from a visit to a client late one summer's evening, antiquarian bookseller Adam Snow takes a wrong turning and stumbles across the derelict old White House. Compelled by curiosity, he approaches the door, and, standing before the entrance feels the unmistakable sensation of a small hand creeping into his own, 'as if a child had taken hold of it'. Intrigued by the encounter, he determines to learn more, and discovers that the owner's grandson had drowned tragically many years before. At first unperturbed by the odd experience, Snow begins to be plagued by haunting dreams, panic attacks, and more frequent visits from the small hand which become increasingly threatening and sinister ...  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: The Small Hand sounded like a really interesting ghost story and lately I’ve been looking for more spooky reads so I didn’t hesitate to pick this one up.


The Small Hand wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be to be honest.  In truth I felt it was more of a classic style horror which is to say it uses more sophisticated language and not so much of the scary factor.

The book reminded me a very tiny little bit of The Ninth Gate movie but I think this was only because the main characters in both deal in rare and expensive books.

The ending was sad and quite unexpected.  I got to the ending and I just sort of sat there afterwards going over what had happened in my mind.  It was definitely thought provoking.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Small Hand, it is an entertaining read and while it wasn’t as scary as I was hoping it would be I thought it was still an entertaining read.

Source: Library

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book and I'm not sure if it's something I'd pick up. But, I did like reading your thoughts on it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!