Monday, August 6, 2012

Every You, Every Me by David Levithan

Title: Every You, Every Me


Author: David Levithan


Published: Knopf Books for Young Readers, 2011


Pages: 245


Summary: In this high school-set psychological tale, a tormented teen named Evan starts to discover a series of unnerving photographs—some of which feature him. Someone is stalking him . . . messing with him . . . threatening him. Worse, ever since his best friend Ariel has been gone, he's been unable to sleep, spending night after night torturing himself for his role in her absence. And as crazy as it sounds, Evan's starting to believe it's Ariel that's behind all of this, punishing him. But the more Evan starts to unravel the mystery, the more his paranoia and insomnia amplify, and the more he starts to unravel himself.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: 
Rebecca: The first thing that drew me to this book was the cover.  The boy on the cover looks so sad and thoughtful, not to mention he is wearing some odd clothes.  It made me wonder more about this boy on the cover.


Scarlett: I thought the cover was really intriguing too.  It was like I wanted to know more about the bot and why he was so sad!

As I got into the book I thought it was a little bit creepy and a whole lot mysterious.  It has this sort of unnerving edge to it, that someone is sending these weird photos to Evan.  I feel like the photos in the book add to the unnerving vibe.

I liked the photos too and the expressions on everyone’s face was just so creepy.  I got a little nervous because I felt like the book was going to turn all horror on me and that there were really sinister motives for the pictures.

I liked the mystery surrounding who was leaving the pictures and also what had happened to Ariel.  Was she alive, was she dead?  You don’t know until the end just exactly what happened to her.

I was a little disappointed when I found out what had happened to Ariel.  Not trying to give anything away but I was hoping for something way more sinister.

I have to say that the angst in this book is so bad.  Evan feels so awful and being in his head the entire book was starting to make me feel a little angsty and down.  I felt compelled to keep reading through the book so that I could get out of this pit of angst David Levithan had put me into with Evan.

I totally agree about the angst!  It took me so long to read this book because I had to keep putting it down because I was so overwhelmed by how emo Evan was.  The emotional portrayal is real but it’s really overwhelming in a not nice way.

The writing style was quite unique in that a lot of the book used strikethroughs.  I thought this added an extra layer to the book as the strikethroughs were like Evan’s innermost thoughts.  Like you’re processing through the things you’re thinking about.

The revelation at the end was different to what I had expected it to be.  It was a little anti-climactic but I think it was supposed to be like that.

Overall, I thought that Every You, Every Me was quite an interesting book.  The photos added an extra layer that made the story that more interesting.

For me, I didn’t really enjoy the book as much as I had hoped but I felt it was entertaining enough too.  David Levithan is definitely a talented author!

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read this book since it came out. Love the way you did the review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't lots about this book, but, it sounds really good. The cover is indeed intriguing, that boy, I don't know..there's something about him! I haven't read anything written by David Levithan, but, I do feel like I must try one of his books. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!