Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Scar Night by Alan Campbell

Title: Scar Night


Author: Alan Campbell


Published: Tor Books, 2006


Pages: 550


Series: Deepgate Codex, Book 1


Summary: For nine hundred generations, the city of Deepgate has hung suspended by giant chains over a bottomless abyss. In the unfathomable darkness below is said to reside the dread god Ulcis, with his army of ghosts. At the hub of the city itself rises the Temple, in one of whose many crumbling spires resides a youthful angel, Dill, the last of his line.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I was a little apprehensive about reading Scar Night but I thought that it sounded pretty good.  When I started reading it I felt that it was a little slow but quite interesting.  As the story progressed however, I got really sucked into the story and it had a sort of exponential curve of interest.


I absolutely loved Scar Night.  It’s really original and while it has quite a lot going on, it’s really easy to follow and I didn’t get lost trying to follow one individuals story as they all managed to be unique and easy to distinguish.

I liked Dill, Rachel and Carnival.  I thought it was awesome that Rachel was a kick-ass female, she was strong and independent and I always enjoy reading about female characters like that.  My favourite character would have to be Carnival.  At first, she comes off as really scary and the bad guy but then you actually get to know more about her and I started really feeling like she was a good character, just misunderstood.

I think the overall plot of the book was really good and I found it to be highly intriguing.  It’s so different to most books I read and it was just fantastic.  I felt that the ending was really good too.  It finished the story but also left a little opening for the next book in the series.  I like series’ that tie up their main stories and allow you the option to read it as a standalone.

I feel like I could talk about how I really enjoyed this book for a really long time but all I have to say really is that Scar Night is an amazing fantasy novel and I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book in the series.

Source: Own copy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts and opinions about the book. Sounds like a great read.

    ~Sherry

    Check out my books!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!