Friday, July 6, 2012

The Kingdom by Amanda Stevens

Title: The Kingdom


Author: Amanda Stevens


Published: Mira, March 2012


Pages: 376


Series: The Graveyard Queen, Book 2


Purchase Links:
Book Depository*


Summary: My name is Amelia Gray. They call me The Graveyard Queen. I've been commissioned to restore an old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but I'm coming to think I have another purpose here.Why is there a cemetery at the bottom of Bell Lake? Why am I drawn time and again to a hidden grave I've discovered in the woods? Something is eating away at the soul of this town—this withering kingdom—and it will only be restored if I can uncover the truth.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: After reading The Restorer and absolutely loving it I was so excited to start reading The Kingdom.  I have to say that there were parts of The Kingdom I thought were way better than The Restorer and some that I thought weren’t as good as The Restorer but that I still absolutely adored this book.


The entire book has this sense of something not being quite right.  I found there to be this really creepy and chilling air of mystery surrounding the events in the book and even as I was reading this in broad daylight I found myself looking over my shoulder.  That is one thing that this book does so well and I absolutely loved The Kingdom for that.

In The Kingdom Amelia leaves behind Charleston and all the people within it, including John Devlin but we are introduced to Thane Asher who is an interesting man and I liked that we got to know him a little better than we did Devlin in The Restorer.  I thought he seemed like a genuinely awesome guy to be honest.

One thing I wasn’t so keen on was that it was really predictable.  I guessed pretty much everything except for one minor thing.  I did enjoy the book I just would have liked to have been kept guessing a little bit more than I actually did.

There’s not a lot else I have to say about The Kingdom really, it was a really awesome book and I am so excited to start the next one.  If you love ghost stories with an air of creepiness to them then definitely check out The Graveyard Queen series.

Source: NetGalley

1 comment:

  1. I agree this is an amazing creepy trilogy. I loved The Restorer also, enjoyed The Kingdom and have The Prophet need to get to it now.

    I hear we get more Delvin which is good in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!