Sunday, April 8, 2012

White Cat by Holly Black

Title: White Cat


Author: Holly Black


Published: Margaret K. McElderry, 2010


Pages: 310


Series: Book 1, The Curse Workers


Summary:  Cassel comes from a shady, magical family of con artists and grifters. He doesn’t fit in at home or at school, so he’s used to feeling like an outsider. He’s also used to feeling guilty—he killed his best friend, Lila, years ago. 

But when Cassel begins to have strange dreams about a white cat, and people around him are losing their memories, he starts to wonder what really happened to Lila. In his search for answers, he discovers a wicked plot for power that seems certain to succeed. But Cassel has other ideas—and a plan to con the conmen.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I really liked White Cat.  For a while I wasn’t sure if I was going to read this book or not because I had heard a lot of mixed things about it.  However, I’m really glad that I had the opportunity to read White Cat because it was very good.

I liked the whole premise of White Cat, about how people have to wear gloves so that nobody who is a worker can work curses on people by touching them with their bare hands.  I found it really interesting the different kinds of curses that people could have.  For example, there are people who can give people either bad or good luck.

I also really liked the mystery in the book.  It definitely kept me hooked.  I wanted to know all the details about what had happened and what was happening to Cassell.  I just really got wrapped up in the story.

I really liked Cassell too, I thought he was interesting and as far as main characters go he was a little different from the usual ones.  I liked the supporting cast too.

I enjoyed the ending of White Cat.  It tied everything up rather nicely and also left an opening for the next book in the series.

Overall, I was incredibly surprised by Black Cat and in a good way.  I was expecting to think this was an average read but I really loved it.  It has definitely made me interested in seeking out the rest of the series.

2 comments:

Comments are always awesome!