Saturday, April 14, 2012

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Title: We Have Always Lived in the Castle


Author: Shirley Jackson


Published: Penguin Classics, 2006


Pages: 146


Summary: Taking readers deep into a labyrinth of dark neurosis, We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a deliciously unsettling novel about a perverse, isolated, and possibly murderous family and the struggle that ensues when a cousin arrives at their estate.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I saw the cover of We Have Always Lived in the Castle and I thought it looked really creepy; then I heard people talking about how it was this really creepy book so I thought I’d read it because I’ve been looking to get back into reading the scary sort of books lately.


When reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle I definitely got a sense of something being not right.  It’s hard to tell if it’s the townspeople who have something wrong with them, or if it is Merricat herself or even her sister Constance.  You later find out.

The whole vibe that something was a little off made this book seem quite creepy.  It wasn’t super scary though, and by the end it lost the creepy factor.

There is a mystery aspect of the story, the mystery is who poisoned Merricat’s family.  There are some clues scattered in the story and it doesn’t make it very difficult to guess who killed Merricat’s family.  I figured it out.

Overall, We Have Always Lived in the Castle is an interesting story.  It doesn’t take too long to read through and it does have some creepy elements to it.  It’s definitely worth a read if you’re looking for a book that is unique and a little disturbing.

Source: Library

3 comments:

  1. Shirley Jackson has long remained one of my favorite authors :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You described it as I thought, kind of creepy and unique, to bad the execution seemed off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I liked most about the book was that it left me with the same feeling I got from reading Jackson's famed story "The Lottery". It leaves you with that kind of horror at humanity "The Lottery" did with such deftness.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!