Monday, April 16, 2012

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Title: Beauty Queens


Author: Libba Bray


Published: Scholastic Press, 2011


Pages: 396


Summary: The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program - or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan - or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?
Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I had read Going Bovine by Libba Bray and I really enjoyed that one.  So when other people started talking about Beauty Queens and how it is a really great audiobook to listen to I decided to read it.  I’m really glad that I did because I thought it was great.

Beauty Queens is really funny and incredibly different to anything I’ve ever read before.  It’s different to conventional books in that it has a lot of footnotes and advertisements which I found to be really good and definitely move the story along.

I would have to say that my favourite character was Adina; I just found that I could relate to her the most.  Though in saying that, I found most of the characters to be great.  I liked that they all had their own flaws and problems and that they all had an opportunity to look at themselves and who they are.

Libba Bray does a fantastic job of narrating Beauty Queens.  I really liked that she narrated it because that way you get the book read to you as the author hopes you read it in your head.  Libba does all the voices so differently and so well, it was really impressive.

While Beauty Queens is really funny, it’s also quite deep and really gets you thinking about society and the way that females are treated and even the way that males are treated.  It was very interesting and I really enjoyed it.

Beauty Queens is definitely a good book.  If you’re a fan of satire and are looking for something a little different, then this book is definitely worth looking into.  It definitely has some good food for thought in there that I will be thinking about for days after finishing it.

Source: Library

2 comments:

  1. Nice review, and I'm glad you posted this ... I meant to add it to my want list and totally forgot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORED this - I can't wait for a chance to meet Libba and fangirl in person. :D Everybody I've lent my copy to has adored it, too, even my boyfriend. Beauty Queens = perfection.

    Charmaine Smith (For more info)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!