Monday, March 19, 2012

Spotlight on Thoughtless by Jacqueline Gardner

Today I am lucky to feature Thoughtless by Jacqueline Gardner.  A huge thanks to Jacqueline for providing the excerpt, blurb and images also :)



When Bridget finds a dead cheerleader in the janitor’s closet, she becomes the killer’s next target.  High school just got worse.  It’s bad enough that she can hear the shocking truths that pass through her classmate’s heads.  Now she has to worry about staying alive, and all clues point to the one person whose thoughts she can’t read - her boyfriend Terrence.  Someone is taunting her, threatening to expose her secret.   And when Bridget tries to single out her blackmailer, she’s nearly beaten to death by a mind controlled minion with fiery eyes.    
But when Bridget finally comes face-to-face with the killer, suddenly a horde of brainwashed students programmed to destroy her life doesn’t seem so bad. 

Excerpt from Chapter 1 - The Body
The only sound around was the noise my sneakers made as they hit the floor.  The girl’s locker room wasn’t far from thefootball field but I took my time digging through Emma’s stuff.  Her pom-poms had fallen on the floor.  I grabbed them and closed my eyes, engulfed in silence.  It made me feel normal.  I sat on the cold locker room floor and let myself relax.  Each breath washed away another foreign thought until the only person in my head was me.
A distant bang made me jump.  I jerked backwards, nearly hitting my head on a locker.  “What the .. . ?  Hello?  Is there someone in here?”  My voice was quiet and shaky.  There were heavy footsteps somewhere close and another crash.  I concentrated, but my mind stayed blank.  Whoever was making noise wasn’t thinking.  I couldn’t hear any thoughts in their head.  Strange.

My chest started pounding.  My face got hotter and hotter.  A bead of sweat dripped down my back.  To hear noises with no accompanying thoughts never happened. Internal self talk was part of everyday living, even when meditating.  I still heard nothing, not even someone counting their steps. “Hello?”  My voice filled the locker room.  I took a step towards the bathroom stalls.  They all appeared to be empty.  All I saw was tile that needed a good cleaning and rusty toilet seats.  My breathing got heavier.  Something wasn’t right.  The noises had to have come from somewhere.  The sound of footsteps and crashing objects didn’t just happen on their own.  There had to be a source.

My own reflection in a streaked mirror made me jump again.  I clutched my chest.  “You’re just being paranoid,” I whispered reassuringly.  “And you’re talking to yourself.”  With a sigh, I slowly opened the locker room door.  The hallway was dark.  No one was in sight.  Light from the locker room flooded into in the hall.

The janitor’s closet was cracked open.  I studied the hall, but I was alone.  The janitor’s closet was usually locked and for a good reason.  There were enough chemical cleaners in thereto run a meth lab.  Someone must’ve broken in and knocked over a shelf.  My feet inched towards the closet, careful to stay quiet in case the culprit was still around.

I kept turning around.  No one was there.  The only thoughts in my head were mine.  This is stupid, I thought to myself.  I pulled the knob and the closet door swung wide open on its own.  I staggered back.  

Complete terror filled my chest.  I rubbed my eyes.  Great!  Now I’m seeing things too.  The image in front of me couldn’t be real.  I tried to swallow but my throat was swelling up.  

 “Stacy?” A raspy whisper managed to escape my lips.  Stacy was lying motionless on the floor, her cheerleading uniform slightly ripped to reveal a strange bruise just under hercollar bone.  Maybe she fainted?  Maybe she fell asleep . . . and someone shoved her into a closet!  Her eyes were wide open and staring at the ceiling. 



Wow, I don't know about anyone else but I'm excited to continue reading :)  Be sure to check back later for my review of Thoughtless but in the meantime you can check out these websites:
Jacqueline's Website (I highly recommend checking this one out because Jacqueline makes the most amazing looking cupcakes and posts pictures of them on her blog!)
Thoughtless on Goodreads
Thoughtless on Amazon

1 comment:

Comments are always awesome!