Saturday, March 10, 2012

Seeing Red by Tanya Lloyd Kyi

Title: Seeing Red: The True Story of Blood


Author: Tanya Lloyd Kyi


Illustrator: Steve Rolston


Published: Annick Press, February 2012


Pages: 124


Summary: What do we really know about the vital stuff in our veins? 

Some people faint at the sight of blood while others eat black pudding or sip blood soup. Some can't think of it without hearing the faint rustle of a vampire's cape. Others rush to see the latest gory horror film. Why does blood hold such emotional power? 

Around the world, blood has always been a symbol of both life and death: blood rites, blood oaths, and blood-soaked legends. Today, we have scientific facts about blood types, transfusions, blood-borne illnesses, and crime-scene blood spatter. Yet the fluid still holds mystery. 
Open this book to learn about the symbolism and reality of blood, from its role in ancient sacrifices to its uses in modern medicine and forensics.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: Seeing Red looked really fascinating.  I find learning about things like blood really intriguing so I was quite excited to pick up Seeing Red.  Needless to say I did learn quite a bit about blood.

I loved how there was so much information relating to blood.  It was about the science of blood, the culture surrounding blood and all sorts of other interesting tidbits to do with blood.

Another thing I really loved were little comic strips throughout the book featuring a boy named Harker and he had his own little story going on throughout the book.  I really enjoyed that too.

I did have one little issue with the book in that some of the images were over top of the words so I couldn’t read some of the words.  For the most part I was able to get the gist of what was being said.

Overall, I really enjoyed Seeing Red and thought it was very educational but also fun.  It reminded me a lot of the Horrible Histories books.  If you’re interested in non-fiction or learning about blood and the history of what people thought of it then definitely check this one out.

Source: NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!