Saturday, March 3, 2012

Scary School by Derek the Ghost

Title: Scary School


Author: Derek the Ghost


Illustrator: Scott M. Fischer


Published: HarperCollins, June 2011


Pages: 237


Summary: You think your school's scary?
Get a load of these teachers:
"Ms. Fang," an 850-year-old vampire
"Dr. Dragonbreath," who just might eat you before recess
"Mr. Snakeskin"--science class is so much more fun when it's taught by someone who's half zombie
"Mrs. T"--break the rules and spend your detention with a hungry "Tyrannosaurus rex"
Plus
Gargoyles, goblins, and Frankenstein's monster on the loose
The world's most frighteningly delicious school lunch
And
The narrator's an eleven-year-old ghost
Join Charles "New Kid" Nukid as he makes some very Scary friends--including Petunia, Johnny, and Peter the Wolf--and figures out that Scary School can be just as funny as it is spooky.  (Taken from Goodreads)
Thoughts: Lately I’ve been wanting to read humorous books and I was lucky enough to have a copy of Scary School to read through.  Not only was this highly entertaining but I got quite a few laughs from it too.
I really loved the illustrations in Scary School.  It added in that extra layer of awesomeness but at the same time it was really funny.  I particularly enjoyed the first picture of Charles Nukid.  There were of course many other brilliant images throughout the book.

Most of the book was introducing the characters and telling little stories about them which I really enjoyed.  I really liked so many of the characters that I don’t really have a favourite, although I did like Derek the Ghost who is in the story as he is the one telling the story.

I found Scary School to be slightly reminiscent of Harry Potter, The Munsters and the Addams Family.  It was really awesome.  There were so many funny bits and it was really well written.  Overall, I really enjoyed Scary School and highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!