Friday, March 9, 2012

The Lens and the Looker by Lory S. Kaufman

Title: The Lens and the Looker


Author: Lory S. Kaufman


Published: Fiction Std, 2011


Pages: 336


Series: Book 1, The Verona Trilogy


Summary: There's hope for the future, but what about the past? 

It’s the 24th century and humans, with the help of artificial intelligences (A.I.s) have finally created the perfect post-dystopian society. To make equally perfect citizens for this world, the elders have created History Camps, full sized recreations of cities from Earth’s distant pasts. Here teens live the way their ancestors did, doing the same dirty jobs and experiencing the same degradations. History Camps teach youths not to repeat the mistakes that almost caused the planet to die. But not everything goes to plan. 

In this first of a trilogy, we meet three spoiled teens in the year 2347. Hansum almost 17, is good looking and athletic. Shamira, 15, is sassy, independent and an artistic genius. Lincoln, 14, is the smart-aleck. But you don’t have to scratch too far beneath the surface to find his insecurities. 
These three “hard cases” refuse the valuable lessons History Camps teach. But when they are kidnapped and taken back in time to 1347 Verona, Italy, they only have two choices; adapt to the harsh medieval ways or die. The dangers are many, their enemies are powerful, and safety is a long way away. It’s hardly the ideal environment to fall in love – but that’s exactly what happens. In an attempt to survive, the trio risks introducing technology from the future. It could save them – or it could change history.   (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts:The Lens and the Looker sounded like a really unique and interesting book so I was quite excited to start reading it.  I felt that The Lens and the Looker was just an ok kind of read for me.


I felt like a lot of the time the book was quite slow going.  There was quite a long explanation of the lens maker and it just got a little boring.  I felt like when I was reading the book it was quite interesting but once I put it down it was easy to forget about and not want to pick up again.

There were also a lot of times where I found it hard to believe what was going on.  For instance, when they went to the history camp they were not accepting of it at all yet all of a sudden they get whisked back in time and they don’t question it, they don’t act out and they just come to terms with it all so easily.  I find it so hard to believe that three teenagers are fine with going back in time 1000 years and living there.

I felt that the book really picked up in the last 50 pages and when I was at that point I couldn’t put the book down.  I feel that if the book series continues with that sort of pacing then it will be a really good read.

Overall, I felt that The Lens and the Looker was quite an entertaining novel but it wouldn’t personally, be my first choice in book but it was definitely quite an interesting and original read.  I will be picking up the next book in the series as I’m interested to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!