Monday, March 26, 2012

Interview with Ras Ashcroft

Today I am very lucky to have an interview with Ras Ashcroft author of Supervillian: The Conicse Guide.



What made you decide to write Supervillain?
A friend of mine once recommended a certain financial self-help book (I won’t name any names), swearing that it would change my perspective on wealth. After reading it, the only change I noticed was an increased level of hatred for many self-proclaimed advice ‘gurus’. I’ll say this: the author had talent for being able to stretch out “Don’t spend money that you don’t have” over 200 pages without relying on the copy-and-paste function.

However, it gave me the idea to write my own parody guide. I figured that if you’re going to dish out advice that you don’t personally follow, it might as well be about the ultimate goal: World Domination!


How much research went into writing Supervillain?
I’m a news junkie and constantly read about the various heinous actions of individuals, governments and corporations around the planet. I coupled that knowledge with a few months researching the various topics covered in the book and it wasn’t too hard to create a concise mock guide to evil.

Oh and for all you Bond-types reading this, no I have never set foot in a uranium enrichment facility to carry out research and steal secrets. I’m referring to you, mysterious black van parked outside my house.


If you could have one superpower what would it be?
Immortality would be pretty great, but these wishes usually come attached with dire consequences. If I ever encounter a genie, I’d have to hire a team of lawyers and draw up a proper contract before making my superpower request. After all, being turned into one of those jellyfishes that are technically immortal wouldn’t be an ideal outcome.


What would you choose as a supervillain name?
Ras Al-Ghul has apparently been taken, so I would have to say ‘Killer Ink Slinger’.


Are you currently working on any more writing projects?
I love writing and I had a blast with this book, so I will definitely start work on another such project very soon. I’m already making a list of potential topics, but first I’d love to see how this book fares in the wild and learn from the experience.


Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?
Yes. Following your heart is overrated; the brain is where the good stuff goes down.

Thanks a bunch Ras, be on the lookout for my review of Supervillain: The Concise Guide, later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!