Monday, March 5, 2012

Interview with Derek the Ghost

So on Saturday I posted up my review of Scary School and today I have the privilege of  interviewing Derek the Ghost.  Without further ado I give you Derek:





Tell us a little about yourself.
I was just your average 11-year-old kid who loved comic books and dreamed of one day becoming amaster ninja. Unfortunately, those dreams ended when an experiment in Mr.Acidbath's class at Scary School went terribly wrong and turned me into theghost you know today. At first I couldn't figure out why I was a ghost, because when you come back as a ghost, that means you still have something left to accomplish. It turned out that I was destined to write about Scary School andall the terrible, wonderful, hilarious things that go on there, so now, that's what I spend my afterlife doing and will continue to do until it's time to move on. 


What made you decide to write ScarySchool?
The first novel I had written was originally called SCARY SCHOOL: BOOK 1 - MY HOMEWORK ATE MY DOG!  - it's a middle-grade fantasy series very similar to Harry Potter. The only problem was, it didn't have a whole lot to do with a"scary school". I just thought of that title and wanted to use it before someone else did. So my editor at HarperCollins readthe book, and almost acquired it, but in the end, they ended up passing on it,but gave me the recommendation to write a book series called SCARY SCHOOL thatwas lighter, funnier, and more school-centric. I took their advice, whichbecame the Scary School series we know today. 
The original book ended up becoming RUDY AND THE BEAST: BOOK 1 - MY HOMEWORK ATE MY DOG!which is available exclusively through my website at http://www.scaryschool.com/bookstore.html  - and you can get it onKindle (just $2.99!) or paperback! For those who like dark fantasies like Harry Potter, I've gotten many responses that young readers enjoy it even more than Scary School! 


What do you like to do when you aren’t writing?
I love to cook and eat! You will see a lot of that come out in my books during the school lunches :)  I also have a production company out here in LA and we do alot of funny sketches and shot films that you can check out at www.SadNinja.com. I also teach YA and Children's Writing at a writing school here in LA called Writing Pad. There's also a publishing and querying class, so if you're in the SoCal area and are interested in writingchildren's or YA or have a book you want to get published, I recommend checking out writingpad.com. It's a great writing school for writers of all levels. 


Will we be seeing more books from you in the future?
I recently turned in Book 3 of Scary School, so you can expect new books in that seriesevery June. Scary School #2: Monsters on the March comes outJune 26, 2012 and Book 3 comes out June 2013. I also recently finished a newmiddle-grade comedy book called Principal Mikey about a10-year-old kid who becomes principal of his school, and we're shopping thataround right now. You may also see a spin-off of Scary School in the near future as well as a cinematic adventure book! 
For more information on Scary School and all my other books, I invite everyone to visit www.ScarySchool.com - it's a super-fun website! You can play a video game on it, and if you win, you will receive the weirdest trophy ever! Plus you can tour the school, meet the students and faculty, watch somecool videos, and even unlock the "Secret Last Chapter" but you'll only know how to do that after you finish reading Book 1 of Scary School! 


What is your favourite part of ScarySchool?
Petrified Pavilion is definitely a really amazing place and in the first couple books,I've only scratched the surface of the amazing secrets it holds! 


Are there any other ghosts that haunt the halls of Scary School?
Why, yes there are! But to find out about them, you're going to have to unlock the Secret Chapter through the website, which you learn how to find when you finish reading Book 1!  


If you could have dinner with any of the teachers at Scary Schoolwhich one would it be and why?
I would love to have dinner with Mrs. T the T-rex in a blue dress. She hunts for all her mealsin Scary Forest, so I imagine I would get to ride on her back while she chases after her prey and then we would get to enjoy a very, very fresh meal together was the creature of choice was caught.  


Any final words?
Just that I hope they will all check out Scary School and have a great time reading it. I also created a really fun website for it at www.ScarySchool.com. You can tour the school. Meet the students and faculty. Andthere's also lots of fun easter eggs. If you beat the video game on thewebsite, you will win the weirdest trophy ever. And after you finish Book One,you'll have to go back to the website in order to unlock the secret last chapter that will lead you straight into Book 2! 


Thanks so much Derek!  Definitely check out the Scary School website and the Scary School book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!