Friday, March 2, 2012

The Baker's Wife by Erin Healy

Title: The Baker's Wife


Author: Erin Healy


Published: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2011


Pages: 345


Summary: Before Audrey was the baker's wife, she was the pastor's wife.
Then a scandalous lie cost her husband a pastoral career. Now the two work side-by-side running a bakery, serving coffee, and baking fresh bread. But the hurt still pulls at Audrey.
Driving early one morning to the bakery, Audrey's car strikes something-or someone-at a fog-shrouded intersection. She finds a motor scooter belonging to a local teacher. Blood is everywhere, but there's no trace of a body.
Both the scooter and the blood belong to detective Jack Mansfield's wife, and he's certain that Audrey is behind Julie's disappearance.
But the case dead-ends and the detective spirals into madness. When he takes her family and some patrons hostage at the bakery, Audrey is left with a soul-damaged ex-con and a cynical teen to solve the mystery. And she'll never manage that unless she taps into something she would rather leave behind-her excruciating ability to feel other's pain.  (Taken from Goodreads)
Thoughts: As a lover of all things mystery I was incredibly excited to read The Baker’s wife as it sounded like a great mystery with a twist on it which made it seem all the more enjoyable.
I was actually surprised with The Baker’s Wife as I was expecting it to just be an intense mystery story but it was also quite an emotional character driven novel.  It didn’t detract from my enjoyment any however, as I tend to think of a mystery novel as being awesome anyway.

I thought the Christian aspect of this book was very well managed.  I loved that God was also helping with the mystery somewhat.  It just added an extra layer to the story.  I know that a lot of people are not that interested in reading books with a Christian theme but I feel that this was quite well done in The Baker’s Wife.

As far as the mystery goes I was really happy with it and I think that’s what kept me reading for the most part.  I did however, enjoy reading about the characters and how they worked through their issues and personal problems.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Baker’s Wife.  It was a great mystery, contemporary story and Erin Healy is a great writer.  I’ll definitely be looking for more books by her in the future.
Source: BookSneeze

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!