Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The World in Your Lunch Box by Claire Eamer

Title: The World in Your Lunch Box


Author: Claire Eamer


Illustrator: Sa Boothroyd


Published: Annick Press, 1 February 2012


Pages: 128


Summary: A ham sandwich on white bread. Macaroni and cheese. Peanut-butter-and-banana roll-ups. They may sound like ordinary items, but they take us on an amazing journey through the rich history and astonishing science of food. 
Explore a week of lunches—from apples to pizza—by taking a romp through thousands of years of extraordinary events. Some are amusing, like the accidental invention of potato chips. Others are tragic, such as the Spice Wars, which killed thousands of people. 
Consider that ham sandwich: Ancient Romans first made ham by curing meat with salt and smoke to kill microbes, while yeast (which burps gas) produces the fluffy texture of bread. 
Aztec farmers bred tomatoes from small, bitter berries into plump, sweet fruit, and watermelons sustained travelers 10,000 years ago in the Kalahari Desert.   (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: As a lover of food and someone who has a high interest in books about the history of food, I was excited to find this little book on netgalley.  As soon as I got it I started reading it immediately and finished it in a day.

With really neat little illustrations I had a lot of fun reading through The World in Your Lunch Box.  It’s such a small book, at only 128 pages but it is jam packed with so many things.  There are sections on the history of the food, then there are science sections.  Not only that but there are jokes, comics and even some fun facts about food.

I now feel that much more educated on some of the foods I enjoy eating day to day and I had a lot of fun in the process.  I laughed out loud at a lot of the jokes and definitely had a good time reading.  Needless to say after finishing the book my thirst for knowledge was satisfied, my hunger for food however, was not.

Overall, I really enjoyed The World in Your Lunch Box.  It’s fun, highly entertaining as well as educational.  I would definitely recommend this book especially to those of a younger audience interested in learning a little more about the foods they eat.  I have one warning though, do not read this book when you are hungry because your stomach will be growling the whole time.

Source: NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!