Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Title: The Name of the Star


Author: Maureen Johnson


Published: Putnam Juvenile, 2011


Pages: 372


Series: Book 1, Shades of London


Summary: The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.
Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.  (Taken from Goodreads)
Thoughts: I enjoy the odd Jack the Ripper stories, so I was really looking forward to reading The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson.  I found that I quite enjoyed it.
I’m always interested in reading books that have a scary element and I really enjoyed the scare level in this book.  The ghosts in this book were pretty scary.  Some of the things that some are capable of just seemed to be quite frightening.  I also thought that the details were quite gory which is something that I quite enjoy in a horror-type book.

Another thing that I felt was quite freaky was the whole Ripper thing.  Who is this mysterious Ripper and why is he killing people?  Not to mention some of the things that he could do.

I liked Rory; she seemed like a pretty cool person.  I liked her friends Jazza and Jerome too.  Especially Jazza, I thought she was pretty cool and I would’ve liked to know more about her.

In all honesty my one complaint would probably be that I felt it was quite slow to get into the story.  While I found the story to be quite good I felt that some of the parts were quite boring and dry.  I just found it quite hard to carry on through some parts but I did.

I think the ending was quite interesting.  I didn’t really like it to be honest and I found that it dragged on a bit for me, like; I could tell that an event was going to happen but it just took a long time to get there.  I’m very interested to see how the next book in the series is going to go.

Overall, I thought that The Name of the Star was quite an interesting book and I enjoyed the Jack the Ripper aspect as well as the ghost parts.  What I didn’t really like so much was that I felt some parts were quite slow going.  However, fans of gore might enjoy this one as it is definitely quite good about describing some gore.

Source: Library

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!