Monday, February 27, 2012

Interview with Anthea Sharp

Today I am very excited to have an interview with Anthea Sharp, author of Feyland: The Dark Realm.  Without further ado I give you Anthea.





Tell us a little about yourself.
I’m an oldest child, so I always have opinions about what people should do. J I live in the rainy Pacific NW, with my husband and daughter. The weather makes it easy to get a lot of writing done. I am also published in historical romance (as Anthea Lawson) and I play the Irish fiddle. I’ve always loved the fantasy genre, and am delighted to be writing YA fantasy!

What inspired you to write Feyland?
Since I’m a computer gamer as well as a longtime reader of fantasy, the two worlds began to mix around in my head. What if… there was a game that was actually a portal to the Realm of Faery? How would technology and magic collide, or work together? Once I had that part imagined, I knew I needed a couple bold adventurers. Jennet and Tam are inspired by the ancient Ballad of Tam Lin, which was first collected in written form in 1549, in Scotland.

Feyland has a lot of gamers/ references to gaming. Are you yourself a gamer? If so, what do you play on/ what games do you play?
I’ve been playing World of Warcraft for a few years now—that’s really my game of choice. I can beat the pants off of most people in Boggle (that would be oldschool gaming), and I play Just Dance with my daughter (Kinect). We also have fun with the wii. First Person shooters spike my adrenaline too much, and I always go off the track in Kart racing, so I tend to stick more with the fantasy-based MMOs.

Did you do any research before writing Feyland? If so, what sort of research was it?
I pulled out all my collections of Faery lore: the Faeries book by Brian Fround and Alan Lee, my old copies of Andrew Lang’s fairy books, and one of my favorite resources – the Encyclopedia of Fairies by Katharine Briggs. I also used online resources, especially tamlin.org, which is dedicated to the study of the ballad.

What are you currently working on?
I’m polishing up the sequel, titled Feyland: The Bright Court, in preparation for a late April release. It looks like there will ultimately be a trilogy featuring Jennet and Tam. More adventures await!

Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
Write. A lot. Study the craft of writing, too, but the best thing you can possibly do is get to know your own voice and writing style. Also, turn off that beastly internal editor looking over your shoulder, and just write. You can edit later.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Play music, drink hot chocolate, and spend time with my family.

Any final thoughts/words?
Just a big thank you to you, Rebecca, for having me here at Everything to do with Books! I love to answer questions, so if folks want to ask something in the comments, feel free.

Thanks a bunch Anthea, be sure to visit Anthea and Feyland at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!