Friday, January 27, 2012

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


Author: Ransom Riggs


Published: Quirk Publishing, 2011


Pages: 352


Summary: A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Ever since I saw the book trailer for Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children I just had to read it.  I started reading it and I was hoping for a creepy sort of read.  I found the first part of the book to be quite creepy.  Unfortunately, once the book got a few chapters in, I didn’t think it was so creepy.

I really liked the pictures in the book.  Some of them were really creepy and I thought it was a nice different touch to the book.  Some of the pictures I thought were well placed and well put into the story but some of them I thought were put in there just to try to keep the story going.

I liked the characters in the book, especially Emma.  I think that Emma would be my favourite character.  As for Jacob, I thought he was interesting enough.  At times it didn’t really feel like he was 16 though.  It seemed more like he was about 12 or 13.

I did like the way that this story went.  I wasn’t too sure where the book was going to go in the beginning or how things would play out but I was impressed by the abilities of the children and those sorts of things.

I have to say that I didn’t really like the ending of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.  I felt like it was quite weird.  It sort of left a hole that I couldn’t stop thinking about.  Without trying to spoil anything, I just didn’t like Jacob’s decision and I didn’t really feel that it was well played out.  I have heard there is going to be another book and I’m just wondering if the aftermath of Jacob’s actions will be addressed.

Overall, I thought that Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children was an alright read for me.  I didn’t hate it but I didn’t love it either.  I definitely found it to be quite original and it was worth a read.  However, I would say that it would be more of a book to borrow rather than buy.

Source: Library

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't really love the book. ;( I can't wait to read this book. I saw it yesterday at the bookstore, but I have many unfinished books lying here, that I made a goal for myself to finish them before I buy new ones. :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sucks that it wasn't as creepy as the book appears to be. I'll give it a shot if I see it in the library.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!